The novel has three series. The Lunar Frontier follows Will Elliott, the chief protagonist, and the return of human beings to the moon in the late 2020s. The novel assumes technology very similar to Elon Musk’s Falcon rocket. The second series, The Martian Frontier, follows Will Elliott as a member of the first crew landed on Mars and his decision to remain there. The 19 volumes cover almost 40 years of the development of Mars until it becomes an independent sovereignty with the goal of expanding the human presence out into the solar system. The third series, The Mariners, currently is being written and follows the first Mars-born generation (including Will Elliott’s children) as they move out to the other planets of the solar system.
The Martian Frontier was the first of the three to be written. The Lunar Frontier followed as a prequel and necessitated some rewritting of The Martian Frontier to accommodate the plot and technology. The Mariners was started right before I completed The Martian Frontier and was dropped for a while. It is difficult to predict how far The Mariners will go; perhaps just three volumes.
The novel attempts to make reasonable assumptions about the technology available to send humans to the moon and Mars in the 2020s and 2030s, but speeds up the pace of settlement for dramatic purposes. It also explores the development of Marsian culture (“Martian” refers to the planet’s natural environment, “Marsian” refers to human institutions and conventions developed there).
Comments are welcome; contact the author.
First Series: The Lunar Frontier
The Second Series: The Martian Frontier
- Volume 1: Columbus 1 (PDF)
- Volume 2: Columbus 2 (PDF)
- Volume 3: The Settlement (PDF)
- Volume 4: The Commission (PDF)
- Volume 5: Dust and Gold (PDF)
- Volume 6: The Commonwealth (PDF)
- Volume 7: New Horizons (PDF)
- Volume 8: Marsians (PDF)
- Volume 9: Foundations for Expansion (PDF)
- Volume 10: Challenges of Diversity (PDF)
- Volume 11: Self Subsistence (PDF)
- Volume 12: Voyage of Discovery (PDF)
- Volume 13: Outward Expansion (PDF)
- Volume 14: Debates about Independence (PDF)
- Volume 15: The Cinnamon Revolution (PDF)
- Volume 16: The New Nation (PDF)
- Volume 17: Fires of Conflict (PDF)